Google’s Broad Core Algorithm Update For May 2022
It’s that time again! Google has completed their Broad Core Algorithm Update for May 2022. Below I have included some highlights to catch you up to speed.
“When a core update rolls out, Google is known for pointing to the same guidance it published in 2019.
Nothing has changed there, as Google references the same document with respect to this update.
To sum it up, Google’s general advice regarding core updates is as follows:
- Expect widely noticeable effects, such as spikes or drops in search rankings.
- Core updates are “broad” in the sense that they don’t target anything specific. Rather, they’re designed to improve Google’s systems overall.
- Pages that drop in rankings aren’t being penalized; they’re being reassessed against other web content that has been published since the last update.
- Focusing on providing the best possible content is the top recommended way to deal with the impact of a core algorithm update.
- Broad core updates happen every few months. Sites might not recover from one update until the next one rolls out.
- Improvements do not guarantee recovery. However, choosing not to implement any improvements will virtually guarantee no recovery.
It has been six months since the last Google core update, which rolled out in November 2021.
Those who have been working hard on their site during that time may start to see some noticeable improvements to search rankings.
On the other hand, those who have left their site sit idle may begin to see themselves outranked by sites with more relevant content.
It’s too early to start assessing the impact, however, as this update will take a week or longer to roll out.
Your rankings may fluctuate during that time, so don’t be alarmed if you notice changes right away.”
So the hot button question is, are you seeing positive changes from this update or negative changes due to this update? having an uptick in your keyword search ranking or a major drop in the charts?
If you have seen an uptick, you are good to go! However, if you have seen a drop its time to dig back in to your site’s content and strengthening via that approach.
Below is a direct quote from John Mueller, Google’s Search Advocate, on the changes:
“With the core updates we don’t focus so much on just individual issues, but rather the relevance of the website overall.
And that can include things like the usability, and the ads on a page, but it’s essentially the website overall.”
About us and this blog
We are a digital marketing company with a focus on helping our customers achieve great results across several key areas.
Request a free quote
We offer professional SEO services that help websites increase their organic search score drastically in order to compete for the highest rankings even when it comes to highly competitive keywords.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
More from our blogSee all posts
- Google’s Broad Core Algorithm Update For May 2022 June 13, 2022
- Free Website Grader Report March 10, 2021
- WordPress Rolls Out New Update February 26, 2021